What are the symptoms of small intestine cancer?
Symptoms of small intestine cancer tend to be nonspecific and could be associated with a variety of issues.
Common symptoms of small intestine cancer
Common symptoms of small intestine cancer include:
- Abdominal pain or cramps
- Bloody stool (the blood may be red, black, or tarry in texture)
- Flushing of the skin and face
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Unexplained weight loss
- Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
Serious symptoms that might indicate a life-threatening condition
In some cases, complications of small intestine cancer can be life threatening. Seek immediate medical care (call 911) if you, or someone you are with, have any of these life-threatening symptoms:
- Bluish coloration of the lips or fingernails
- Change in level of consciousness or alertness, such as passing out or unresponsiveness
- Change in mental status or sudden behavior change, such as confusion, delirium, lethargy, hallucinations and delusions
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Respiratory or breathing problems, such as shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, labored breathing, wheezing, not breathing, choking
- Severe abdominal pain
What is small intestine cancer?
The small intestine is the long, thin segment of the intestine that connects the stomach to the colon. Also called the small bowel, the small intestine is responsible for digesting carbohydrates, proteins and fats and delivering the resulting nutrients to the bloodstream. Different kinds of cancers can involve the small intestine. The most common type of cancer of the small bowel is adenoc... Read more about small intestine cancer introduction
What causes small intestine cancer?
Cancer occurs when a cell becomes abnormal and starts to divide and grow uncontrollably. What causes this to occur is not known. Factors that seem to increase an individual’s risk for disease have been identified for a number of cancers including small intestine cancer.... Read more about small intestine cancer causes
How is small intestine cancer treated?
Treatment of small intestine cancer depends on its location and how far it has spread. Surgery may be able to cure the disease if it is in a location where it can be removed and it has not spread. Other treatments may be necessary if the cancer cannot be surgically removed or if it has spread.... Read more about small intestine cancer treatments