What causes scalp symptoms?
Scalp symptoms may be caused by a variety of natural processes or by other events, such as washing habits, disease, or illness.
Natural causes of scalp symptoms
Scalp symptoms may be caused by natural conditions or processes including:
- Normal aging
Habitual causes of scalp symptoms
Scalp symptoms can also be caused by certain habits or lifestyles including:
- Buildup of cosmetic products on the scalp
- High stress levels
- Infrequent cleaning of the scalp
Inflammatory causes of scalp symptoms
- Dermatitis, or skin inflammation, can cause scalp symptoms. The most common type of inflammatory condition to affect the scalp skin is seborrheic dermatitis, known as dandruff or cradle cap in infants.
Serious or life-threatening causes of scalp symptoms
In some cases, scalp symptoms may be symptoms of a serious or life-threatening condition that should be evaluated immediately in an emergency setting. These include:
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, which can be associated with seborrheic dermatitis
- Giant cell, or temporal, arteritis
- Head trauma
Questions for diagnosing the cause of scalp symptoms
To diagnose your condition, your doctor or licensed health care practitioner will ask you several questions related to your scalp symptoms including:
- When did you first notice your scalp symptoms?
- How would you describe your symptoms?
- Do you have any other symptoms?
- What medications are you taking?
- Do you have any other medical conditions?
What are the potential complications of scalp symptoms?
Scalp symptoms are generally caused by natural processes, such as aging or genetic factors, or are a result of hygiene and hair-care habits. However, because scalp symptoms can be due to serious diseases or injuries, failure to seek treatment can result in serious complications and permanent damage. Once the underlying cause is diagnosed, it is important for you to follow the treatment plan that you and your health care professional design specifically for you to reduce the risk of potential complications including:
- Loss of vision and blindness
- Nerve damage
What are the signs of scalp problems?
Scalp symptoms are any abnormality of the skin or hair on the head. Although the most common scalp symptoms include dry, oily, or flaky skin, as seen with dandruff, you could experience numerous other scalp symptoms. These include itchiness, numbness, tingling, Read more about scalp symptoms introduction