What are the symptoms of magnesium overdose?
A mild magnesium overdose is usually accompanied by temporary diarrhea and nausea. Moderate or severe magnesium overdose can be serious and possibly life threatening.
Symptoms of magnesium overdose
Magnesium overdose most commonly produces diarrhea. Other symptoms are related to a drop in blood pressure that may occur with severe overdose. Examples of symptoms of magnesium overdose include:
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Abdominal swelling, distension or bloating
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea, which may be described as feelings of wooziness, queasiness, retching, sea sickness, car sickness, or an upset stomach
- Skin flushing
Serious symptoms that might indicate a life-threatening condition
In some cases, a magnesium overdose can be life threatening. Seek immediate medical care (call 911) if you, or someone you are with, have any of these life-threatening symptoms including:
- Abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain that can be severe
- Balance problems, difficulty walking, and falls
- Chest pain or pressure
- Confusion or loss of consciousness for even a brief moment
- Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
- Gradual difficulty walking and speaking, memory loss, tingling or weakness of extremities
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmias)
What is magnesium overdose?
Magnesium overdose is an excess of magnesium in the body. Magnesium is an essential mineral that helps muscles function and maintain energy. In the absence of kidney disease, your body naturally removes excess magnesium. A magnesium overdose, also called magnesium toxicity or hypermagnesemia, generally occurs when magnesium is ingested in large quantities in the form of a supplement, eithe... Read more about magnesium overdoseintroduction
What causes magnesium overdose?
Your body naturally removes excess magnesium when the kidneys are functioning normally. A magnesium overdose generally occurs when magnesium is ingested in large quantities in the form of a supplement. It is very rare to experience a magnesium overdose by consuming foods that have naturally occurring magnesium in them.... Read more about magnesium overdosecauses