What other symptoms might occur with a knee lump?
Knee lump may accompany other symptoms, which vary depending on the underlying disease, disorder or condition.
Localized symptoms that may occur along with a knee lump
Knee lump may accompany other symptoms affecting the area of the knee or leg including:
- Bleeding or bruising
- Deformity of the joint
- Instability of the joint
- Limited ability, or inability, to move the knee or leg
- Muscle weakness or spasm
- Pain, whether at rest or during specific movements, that may be described as dull, sharp, burning, stabbing or aching
- Redness and warmth of the skin
Other symptoms that may occur along with a knee lump
A knee lump may accompany symptoms that are not localized to the involved area including:
- Lumps or swelling elsewhere in the body
- Muscle weakness
- Pain or swelling in other joints located elsewhere on the body
Symptoms that might indicate a serious condition
In some cases, a knee lump can signal a serious condition that should be immediately evaluated in an emergency setting. Seek immediate medical care if you, or someone you are with, have any of these serious symptoms including:
- Coldness of the feet, with weak or absent pulses
- High fever (higher than 101 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Loss of sensation in the lower leg
- Obvious breakage or deformity of the bones
- Severe bleeding
- Uncontrollable pain
What is a knee lump?
A knee lump can represent a joint deformity due to a chronic inflammatory condition such as arthritis or a deformity that arises following any kind of injury to the joint. Knee lumps can be caused by a number of other conditions as well, including infections or tumors of the bone or soft tissues. Depending on the cause,... Read more about knee lumpintroduction
What causes a knee lump?
A knee lump can result from trauma, chronic inflammation, infection, bleeding, or tumors.
Inflammatory causes of a knee lumpA knee lump can be caused by inflammatory diseases that may also affect multiple joints within the body including:
- Ankylosing spondylitis (inflammation of joints between the vertebrae of the spine)
- Bursitis (i... Read more about knee lumpcauses