What other symptoms might occur with an enlarged ovary?
Enlarged ovary may accompany other symptoms, which vary depending on the underlying disease, disorder or condition. Symptoms that frequently affect the ovaries may also involve other body systems. In some cases, an enlarged ovary may not produce any symptoms.
Pelvic symptoms that may occur along with an enlarged ovary
Pelvic symptoms may accompany enlarged ovary including:
- Abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain that can be severe
- Difficulty urinating (dysuria) and urinary retention
- Heavy bleeding during menstrual period (menorrhagia)
- Menstrual pain that is more severe than normal
- Missed menstrual periods
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Urgent need to urinate
- Vaginal bleeding that is abnormal
Other symptoms that may occur along with an enlarged ovary
Other symptoms may accompany enlarged ovary including:
- Body aches, particularly thigh pain
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Unintentional weight gain
Symptoms that might indicate a serious condition
In some cases, an enlarged ovary can be a serious condition that should be immediately evaluated in an emergency setting. Seek immediate medical care if you, or someone you are with, have any of these serious symptoms:
- High fever (higher than 101 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Persistent vomiting
- Severe, sudden pain in abdomen
What is an enlarged ovary?
An enlarged ovary is an ovary that has expanded past its normal size. The cause of this enlargement is often cyst formation. Other causes include endometriosis, benign tumors and, rarely, ovarian cancer.
... Read more about enlarged ovaryintroduction
What causes an enlarged ovary?
An enlarged ovary may be caused by one of many types of ovarian cysts, including those that can form with polycystic ovarian syndrome. No matter the type, the cysts can grow, increasing the size of the affected ovary or of both affected ovaries. Often ovarian cysts remain dormant and do not cause symptoms. However, in some cases, the enlarged ovary may twist or become dysfunctional. Ovaria... Read more about enlarged ovarycauses