What other symptoms might occur with ear itching?
Ear itching may be accompanied by other symptoms, depending on the underlying disease, disorder or condition. Certain conditions that cause ear itching may also involve other body systems.
Related localized symptoms that may occur along with ear itching
Ear itching may be accompanied by other localized symptoms including:
- Crusting or flaking skin
- Drainage or discharge from the ear
- Redness, warmth or swelling
- Tenderness or pain
Other symptoms that may occur along with ear itching
Ear itching may accompany symptoms related to other body systems including:
- Fever and chills
- Joint stiffness and pain
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
Serious symptoms that might indicate a life-threatening condition
In some cases, ear itching may occur with other symptoms that might indicate a serious condition that should be evaluated immediately in an emergency setting. Seek immediate medical care (call 911) if you, or someone you are with, have ear itching along with other serious symptoms including:
- Change in level of consciousness or alertness, such as passing out or unresponsiveness
- Respiratory or breathing problems, such as shortness of breath, difficulty breathing or inability to breathe, labored breathing, wheezing, or choking
- Sudden swelling of the face, lips or tongue
- Tightness or constriction in the throat
What is ear itching?
Ear itching is a tickling, irritating sensation accompanied by the persistent need to scratch your ear. Redness, swelling, soreness, flaking and scarring may occur in the area of itchiness. The medical term for itchiness is pruritus. Although scratching may temporarily relieve your symptoms, it can cause more irritation or lead to an infection. With most cases of itching, it is best to ref... Read more about ear itching introduction