What other symptoms might occur with ear fullness?
You may experience other symptoms surrounding the ear in addition to the feeling of fullness, clogging and congestion.
Ear symptoms that may occur along with fullness
Ear fullness may accompany other symptoms affecting the ears including:
- Pain or tenderness around the ear or in the bone behind the ear
- Pruritus (itching)
- Pus or other secretions draining from the ear
- Redness, warmth or swelling
Other symptoms that may occur along with ear fullness
- Ear fullness may also be accompanied by other symptoms affecting other parts of your body including:
- Flu-like symptoms (fatigue, fever, sore throat, headache, cough, aches, and pains)
- Malaise or lethargy
Symptoms that might indicate a serious condition
Although most ear infections and other causes of ear fullness either resolve on their own or with antibiotics, some symptoms warrant immediate medical attention, as they may indicate an infection of the bones behind the ear. Seek immediate medical care if you, someone you are with, have any of the following symptoms including:
- High fever (higher than101 degrees Fahrenheit) for 48 hours or more
- Severe headache
- Severe pain
- Throbbing or tenderness behind the ear, especially over the bone
What is ear fullness?
Ear fullness is the feeling that your ears are clogged, stuffed or congested when yawning, swallowing, or other usual methods for eliminating this sensation have failed to work. You may experience muffled or slightly impaired hearing as a result.... Read more about ear fullnessintroduction
What causes ear fullness?
Ear fullness can be caused by infection, especially when accompanied by cold and flu-like symptoms. The feeling of fullness is the result a blocked Eustachian tube, which connects your ear to your throat and permits the drainage of fluid from your middle ear. If fluid builds up, the middle ear may become infected with bacteria or viruses, leading to pain and swelling. Hay fever and other allergies are also common causes of ear fullness.... Read more about ear fullnesscauses