What causes blood in urine?
Blood in the urine is often caused by problems with the organs along the urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra) and the prostate gland. However, your doctor may suspect a bleeding disorder if a problem involving these organs is not found.
Urinary tract causes of blood in urine:
Causes of blood in urine related to the urinary tract include:
Bladder infection (urinary tract infection)
Cystitis (bladder inflammation)
Foreign body in the urethra
Glomerulonephritis (kidney inflammation)
Nephritis (kidney inflammation)
Polycystic kidney disease
Pyelonephritis (kidney infection)
Recent urinary tract surgery or procedure, such as circumcision or biopsy
Sexually transmitted disease
Urinary tract injury
Other causes of blood in urine:
Blood in urine can be caused by medications and conditions including:
Hemophilia (rare hereditary disorder in which blood does not clot normally)
Hemorrhagic fever (viral infection)
Kidney blood vessel clot
Leukemia (cancer of the blood or bone marrow)
- Sickle cell disease or trait
Tuberculosis of the kidney
Von Willebrand’s disease (a hereditary bleeding disorder)
Serious or life-threatening causes of blood in urine:
In some cases, blood in urine may accompany a serious or life-threatening condition, including:
Abdominal aortic aneurysm
Acute congestive heart failure
- How to Deal with Hemophilia. Nemours. http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/blood/hemophilia.html.
- What is Hemophilia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hemophilia/hemophilia_what.html.
- Urine-bloody. Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003138.htm.
- Collins RD. Differential Diagnosis in Primary Care, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2012.
- Kahan S, Miller R, Smith EG (Eds.). In A Page Signs & Symptoms, 2d ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2009.
What is blood in urine?
Blood in the urine is called hematuria. Blood may color the urine various shades of pink, red and brown. Streaks of blood may also appear in the urine. Visible blood in the urine is called gross hematuria. Blood in the urine may be present in such small quantities that it is not visible by the naked eye, but red blood cells in the urine can be seen with a microscope. This is called microscopic ... Read more about blood in urineintroduction
What other symptoms might occur with blood in urine?
Blood in the urine may be accompanied by other symptoms, depending on the underlying disease, disorder or condition:
- Back or flank pain
- Dribbling urine
Frequent nighttime urination
... Read more about blood in urinesymptoms