How is acidosis treated?
Treatment for acidosis depends on the underlying cause. Treatments for respiratory acidosis target the lungs to improve efficiency so you can exhale carbon dioxide more effectively. Treatment for metabolic acidosis targets the underlying cause, though agents that decrease acidity may be given.
Treatment of respiratory acidosis
Treatment for respiratory acidosis may include:
- Bronchodilators may be used if airway disease is causing decreased breathing efficiency
- Mechanical ventilation or positive pressure breathing devices may be used
- Oxygen may be given
Treatment of metabolic acidosis
Sodium bicarbonate may be given to decrease blood acid levels.
What are the potential complications of acidosis?
Acidosis is a serious medical condition that is often life threatening when severe. You can help minimize your risk of serious complications by following the treatment plan you and your health care professional design specifically for you. Complications of acidosis include:
- Organ failure
- Respiratory failure
- Respiratory acidosis. Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000092.htm.
- Metabolic acidosis. Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000335.htm.
- Collins RD. Differential Diagnosis in Primary Care, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2012.
What is acidosis?
Acidosis is a serious metabolic imbalance in which there is an excess of acidic molecules in the body. This can occur as a result of acid overproduction, impaired acid transport, acid underexcretion, or any combination. With overproduction, the body makes too much acid. This can occur in sepsis, a life-threatening widespread infection in which the body makes too much lactic acid. With unde... Read more about acidosisintroduction
What are the symptoms of acidosis?
Symptoms of acidosis include your body attempting to decrease its level of acid, such as through rapid breathing. Other symptoms will depend on the underlying cause of acidosis.
Common symptoms of acidosisAcidosis symptoms vary widely depending on the underlying cause. A variety of illnesses that cause acidosis do share some common symptoms including:
What causes acidosis?
Acidosis is caused by an accumulation of acid in your body. Normally,
your body effectively excretes or neutralizes acid through normal
breathing and kidney function. If these functions are perturbed, or if
the amount of acid your body produces increases significantly, acidosis
A wide variety of conditions can cause or contribute to acidosis. They are generally bro... Read more about acidosiscauses